Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday Night, "I Night", July 22, 2010

Today was a double restaurant day for me. Now I'm sounding like Gary. Last week he had the trifecta: breakfast, a luncheon BUFFET, and then dinner with me!

For lunch, I picked up my high school best friend, Pam, and we went to Classic Coney Island in Genesee. I hadn't seen her since 1981, and we hadn't been in contact until we both got on Facebook last year.  We enjoyed our conversation and the meal there.  Classic Coney Island has an extensive menu, and everything is good.  I'm going to have to submit a review to the Journal soon. Pam had the small crispy chicken salad which came as a special with a cup of soup and flatbread.  The price was less than it would have been to have just the salad and flatbread.  It was huge and loaded with chicken and veggies.  I'm going to have to get that next time.  I just got a turkey and Swiss sandwich, since I knew I'd be eating out later.

Dinner for "I Week" was at Italia Gardens. The only other choices in Flint were Ivanhoe (are they still open?) and a restaurant on Welch Blvd. called It's All Good Soul Food.  I'm not a fan of Italia Gardens, simply because I don't eat pasta or ribs, and those are about the only choices. Gary had seafood alfredo, and said it was good.  I had chicken piccata.  You get 4 small flattened pieces of chicken on a huge platter.  Way out of proportion! The lemony chicken with capers would have been good if it wasn't less than warm.  On another plate was red skins and veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, squash).  The vegetables were cold and I didn't want to send it all back to be warmed up, planning just to take the vegetables home anyway. I did mention it, though. Plus, I'd just as soon the waitress carries my food around as little as possible.  Does anyone else have a problem with the waitresses thumb being in the dish after she's cleared someone else's table, coughed, and handled money? I'm referring to waitresses in general, not this one in particular. And then when they want to put my leftovers into the box for me, I'm quick to say, "I'll do it myself!" I want to choose what goes into that box and handle it myself!

No comments: